Frizzy hair is one of the most untamed and stubborn hair types. But there are ways to tame them too. It’s not true that only woman with curly hair face frizzy hair problems, frizzy hair can be caused by different reasons and can be treated and tamed in different ways too.
The causes of frizzy hair:
• Blow drying regularly
• Curly hair are the most frizz prone hair
• Abuse of styling products
• Chemical damage caused to the hair
• Hair color
• Dry hair
• Regular straightening
• Weather conditions (ahan, now you know why you have frizzy hair in winter)
• Hot oil treatments (avoid massaging with extremely hot oils)
• Product build ups
• Lack of moisture
Taming frizzy hair:
• Women with curly hair embrace your natural curly texture. Frizzy curly hair can be tamed by using appropriate pomade. Look out for a conditioning and moisturizing pomade, so that you can avoid dry hair.
• Use a deep conditioner at least once a week and leave it in the hair at least for a minimum of 30 minutes, I am using Herbal Essence Dangerously Straight, silky and straight conditioner (will review it soon) and yes I am done and totaled with the Dove series of conditioners (they suck). A cream conditioner is a good option.
• Avoid an oil based conditioner since it contributes to hair dryness.
• Use the right combs and brushes. Do not use a hair brush for untangling your hair. Never. Use a comb instead.
• Do not shampoo daily, this cause’s unwanted dryness and strips of the natural shine and moisture of the hair. Use shampoos with normal humectants, they help in protecting the hair. I use Herbal Shampoo Amla & Bhringraj, and find it ok ok. I didn’t buy it, it was gifted to me.
• But if you really want to wash your hairs daily use water and plain conditioner minus the shampoo. I advice you to avoid very hot water since hot water causes dryness, whereas cold or lukewarm water locks the moisture and smoothens your hair. Cold water helps in closing up the cuticle layers of the hair.
• Trim your hair regularly to prevent frizzy hair ends. Ensure that you trim your hair at least four times a year and strictly avoid razor on hair since it gives spilt ends. (I have to get my hair trimmed with razor since my hair cut demands it.?)
• Use a hair mask at least twice a week. Let it be for at least 15 minutes and use rinse it off with cold water.
• Do not squeeze the hair; rub them off with a towel. If you have curly hair, you can squeeze and twirl your curls at the end tips.
• Use a wide toothed comb for de-tangling your hair and use a natural boar bristled brush for retaining the moisture and shine.
• The Frizz control serums must be emphasized at the ends of the hair. Silicon based hair serum proffer shine to the tips of the hair.
• Reduce the use of heat styling equipments and tools.
• Let your hair dry naturally, do not blow dry them. If you blow dry your hair, use the lowest setting for temperature pointing the nozzle downward. Swathe your hair in a towel.
• Use a leave- in conditioner, moisture block or hydrating cleansing shampoos.
• Use a mousse. I recommend Pantene Pro-V Medium-Thick Hair StyleStraighten & Smooth Crème
• Unlike normal hair which are combed and de-tangled when wet, do not comb your wet frizzy hair, do not even run your fingers through them.
• Do not sleep with wet hair.
• Gel wax is great for styling your hair.
• Avoid alcohol contained products.
• Keep your hands-off your hair whilst drying them.
Home remedies for frizzy hair treatment:
• Wash your hair with vinegar once a week at least, Yes you read it right I mentioned VINEGAR.
• Rinse your hair with a dilution of water and apple cider vinegar post conditioning.
• Take an egg and a tablespoon of mayonnaise and beat a creamy mixture out of it and let it remain in your hair for 20 minutes. Do this at least once or twice a week.
• You can also use eggs with olive oil. It serves as a hair mask
• Olive oil massage is great for treating frizzy hair. Frizzy hair is a result of reduced moisture; hence olive oil proffers the moisture that the hair need. Olive oil is also enriched with fatty omega acids which help in the nourishment of the hair.
• Jojoba oil is supposedly used in all most all the skin and hair products. According to me it’s a mimic of sebum which is found in the scalp and skin. Jojoba oil massages strengthen and moisturize the hair from the roots to the end tips.
• Good old coconut oil massages is a cent percent tested and tried treatment for frizzy hair. It nourishes, strengthens and moisturizes the hair since it has the ability to penetrate into the deeper layers of the hair shaft.
• Avocado oil is vitamin E rich which helps in taming frizzy hair. Avocado oil can be used as a deep conditioner too after hair wash. It also acts as a hair mask.
• Pre-shampoo massages with all these oils are great for tackling frizzy hair problems. Do not forget to wrap your hair in a towel after these massages.
The 7 essentials for taming frizzy hair:
• A deep conditioner
My Pick: Herbal Essence Dangerously Straight, silky and straight conditioner
• Anti-frizz shampoo
My Pick: L’Oreal Elvive Anti- Frizz Shampoo
• Anti frizz conditioner
My Pick: L’Oreal Elvive Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Conditioner
• Bristle brush
• Wide toothed comb
Note: Apply anti frizz products before styling.
Hairstyles for the unruly frizzy hair:
• NO short haircuts please.
• NO too many layers.
• Never ever get a blunt cut.
• Keep the hair long.
• Have a half pony or a hair bun done, this will prevent hair fall too.
• Try side swept bangs with few light layers.