Experts unanimously agree that protein and healthy fats help a great deal in weight loss. Both these nutrients keep us fuller for longer, boost metabolism, and burn more calories when they break down inside the body. It’s a myth that eating fats would make you fat, well, in reality, the right kind of “fat” can can make you thin. It all depends on what category of this macronutrient you are including in your diet and how much of it are you consuming on a daily basis. Believe it or not, fat is an essential part of healthy diet, and if you have been avoiding it based on popular myth, it’s the right time to make a turn. On the contrary, if you have to cut anything out completely, do cut back on sugar. Fat is an essential macronutrient, needed in a percentage of 20% to 35% of daily calories. In fact, all body cells have fat content and our brain is made of 60% fat. It is needed to relay signals through the body and in production of hormones., also maintains the core temperature and keeps the body warm. Fat is absolutely necessary for the absorption of vitamins such as A, D, and E because these are fat-soluble vitamins. Fats such as omega-3 fatty acids strengthen the heart and reduces inflammation in the body. Looking at all these benefits, it’s not really justified for giving a bad rap to this macronutrient for health issues. Coming to protein, it keeps one full for longer, builds muscle, burns more calories with its thermogenic properties, curbs food cravings, and increases metabolism. So, can you get a lucky break and pick food that can have both these nutrients together? The good news is yes, so here’s a list of 6 foods with protein and healthy fats that boost weight loss:
1. Egg: Egg is one food that everyone should have on a daily basis, irrespective of whether you want to lose weight or not. It’s a rich, nutrient-dense food that’s absolutely great for overall health as well. Egg is one food that everyone should have on a daily basis, irrespective of whether you want to lose weight or not. It’s a rich, nutrient-dense food that’s absolutely great for overall health as well. Also read: 10 Reasons Why Eggs are Good For Weight Loss
2. Chia Seeds: These tiny seeds come packed with mega doses of nutrition. They are whole grains, an excellent source of protein, high quality fibre, omega 3 fatty acids, calcium, potassium and magnesium, and iron among other nutrients. A true superfood indeed! What’s more, chia seeds are considered an excellent food option for those who are trying to lose weight. Not only do chia seeds have you covered nutritionally, the high fibre content keeps you full for long hours and helps you eat a better diet, which in turn helps with weight loss. Also, the high-protein content boosts the whole fat-burning process. With so much goodness, chia seeds seem like a must-have for people who want to and need to lose weight.Also read: “15 Ways to Lose Weight with Chia Seeds.”
3. Fish: Salmon, mackarel, tuna, sardine are all rich sources of protein that also have healthy fats in them.
4. Peanuts: Here’s another reason to snack on peanut butter – peanuts are a good source of protein, healthy fats, and even fiber.
5. Pumpkin Seeds: Though it does not get counted on the “superfood” list, pumpkin seeds pack a lot of nutrients – protein, fiber, healthy fats along with trace minerals like zinc, magnesium, manganese, copper, etc.
6. Flaxseeds: Have you been applying flaxseed hair gel to make hair silky smooth? If yes, then it’s time to include these in your daily diet as well. In fact, flaxseed is one of the best plant-based source of healthy fats.
Not exactly low in calories, these rich source of protein and healthy fats should be taken in moderation, keeping calorie deficit in mind. And if weight loss is on your mind, do check out the Speed Slim challenge on the Rati Beauty app.