Makeup is a double-edged sword which can make or break your entire look. For example, if you still use a dark lip liner and a lighter shade of lipstick to fill in, it can add years to your face. On the other hand, filling in the brows can take away years from the face in an instant. In this post, we list down 9 beauty mistakes that can make you look older than your age.
1. Applying a Lighter or Darker Shade of Foundation: A white-looking foundation or blending a darker shade foundation can mar your whole makeup look. It is important to do base makeup correctly, and for that, picking the right shade of foundation that matches your complexion is essential. That’s why, we have put together “10 Expert Tips on Choosing the Right Foundation” in this post.
2. Plucking Eyebrows Too Thin: Rule number one to look younger is to fill in the brows nicely and that’s why over-plucked and thin brows do the exact opposite. Shape the brows to a medium thickness and if you have lighter brows, then fill them in with pencil or powder and wax.
3. Not Moisturizing Skin Well Before Applying Makeup: Well-moisturized skin looks soft, supple, and younger. Skipping the moisturizer before applying makeup will highlight fine lines and wrinkles, so never skip the moisturizer.
4. Applying Dark Lip Liner: The biggest makeup faux pas we can make is to line the lips with an extremely dark lip liner and then filling in the lips with a lighter shade. It’s an outdated makeup technique and you should totally refrain from doing so.
5. Too Much Blush on the apple of the cheeks: Too much blush on the apple of the cheeks does not make you look fresher or younger. Using a light hand while applying blush and do remember to blend the blush properly.
6. Too Much Highlighter: Well, your instagram feed may force you to believe that there’s nothing as too much highlighter, but in reality, applying highlighter heavily can ruin your whole look. Use highlighter with a light hand and your skin would glow and look radiant. In fact, here’s “How to Apply Highlighter Flawlessly.”
7. Excessive Application of Makeup Powder: Well-moisturized and dewy skin tends to look fresh and younger, and too much powder makes the makeup appear dry and cakey. So, cut down the powder products and let the supple skin show through.
8. Not Following the Right Contouring Technique: With contouring, you can sculpt your face the way you want. You highlight what you want to bring forward and want to attention at and you contour that you want to recede or don’t want attention on. If you have a chubby nose, you can draw thin strips of contour and highlight in the middle, it would give an illusion of thinner nose. If you have a broad forehead, then a bit of contouring on the forehead would give you an illusion of smaller forehead. If you have a small chin, you could highlight your chin it would make your chin look longer. It is all about creating illusion with makeup. But doing contouring the wrong way can make you look older. Here’s a detailed Cream Contouring and Highlighting Tutorial that you should absolutely check to learn this technique.
9. Not Blending Foundation Properly: Makeup sponges and brushes help to blend foundation better, but even with them, we tend to leave harsh lines behind which tends to settle into fine lines and accentuate them. So, do take your own sweet time blending the foundation, using the right tools.